As you know, the difficult but correct decision was made to cancel the Spring Convention due to the rapid news, spread, and “unknowns” concerning the COVID-19 virus. We know that some are disappointed, some grateful, but most all of us are both of those.
The options for your registrations are as follows:
Transfer to Fall 2020 Convention
If you would like a refund, please send an email with the ticket purchaser’s name, and order number (if you have it) to email@example.com
If you would like a transfer to Fall, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, and all of the names in your order to be transferred to Fall. (We thought that you could do this yourself, but we were incorrect; we are happy to complete this transfer for you) You may also reply to this email with the required information and we will make the transfer happen.
CHORUS MEMBERS via your CHORUS MANAGERS (or Leadership): Exact same options as above…But it would help us tremendously if you would please send a single list of each of your members’ preference as one collective group. One chorus already took the initiative to do this and it made the process so much easier. Name of Member, and one preference: Refund or Transfer.
EITHER A REFUND REQUEST OR A TRANSFER REQUEST MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN 7 DAYS (SAT MARCH 21ST) OF THE CANCELLATION
For any questions, please send an email to: email@example.com
As for the hotel- the individual property is sticking to its 24 hour cancellation rule, although they are still working through it with us. This does not mean that Marriott Corporate cannot override them and do the right thing, so we are asking that you PLEASE contact Marriott Customer Service directly at 1(800) 535-4028 to request a refund or open a case.
The state of Florida was under a state of emergency at the time of the convention cancellation, and the Governor had just recommended that groups of 250+ not gather, hence the convention cancellation. Marriott should do the right thing and refund that night for those of you that did not cancel in time.
UPDATE: All hope is not lost; we are still working with the hotel as our contract language supersedes Marriott’s corporate “24 hour cancellation” policy.
Again, thank you all for your patience while we sort through this. And thanks to those that have already quickly responded with their choice!
The kind words and understanding actions of our membership has carried the Events Team through this; we are here to assist you, our Sunshine Family.
Stay safe, all!
Sunshine District Events Team
After further consideration, the Sunshine District Convention will not take place.
Please be aware that the 2020 Sunshine District Spring Convention will take place as planned March 13 – 15, 2020.
Top in public tips to avoid getting flu or COVID-19 by using common sense:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available. Here are some songs to sing while washing your hands People Share 53 Songs To Sing Instead Of “Happy Birthday” While Washing Your Hands To Scare Away The Coronavirus
- Try not to shake hands, if you do use hand sanitizer afterwards.
- Don’t share pitch pipes or water bottles!
- If you do not feel well please stay home!
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that people frequently touch.
- There will be hand sanitizer available in public areas and backstage, but bring your own hand sanitizer, please! Remember it needs to be at least 60% alcohol based. Many options are available in sprays, gels, or wipes.
According to the Centers for Diseases Control (CDC), The World Health Organization (WHO), John Hopkins, The Department of State and State Departments of Health:For most of the American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
- People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated, though still relatively low risk of exposure.
- It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine.
- The CDC does not recommend wearing masks or respirators for the general public.
- People can help protect themselves from respiratory illness with everyday preventive actions:Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. Hydrogen peroxide based cleaners www.amazon.com/slp/hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner/dw3k52uvbbmn363
- Maintain at least 3 feet distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Sunshine District took 3 of the top 5 medals in International quartet competition this year in Salt Lake City, Utah. Signature brought home the 1st place Gold Medal with a total score of 8439, an average of 93.8%. Throwback took 2nd place Silver Medals with a total score of 8369, an average of 93.0%. Rooftop Records made their first entry into the top 5 capturing a 4th place Bronze Medal with a total score of 8165, an average of 90.7%.
In the Next Generation Varsity Quartet competition, Sunshine District representative On Point took 8th place honors with a total score of 1334, an average of 74.1%.
Score sheets for International Quartet contests are below:
- Quartet Quarterfinals (place 21-57)
- Quartet Semifinals (place 11-20)
- Quartet Finals
- Next Generation Varsity Quartet
In the Chorus competition, Sunshine representative Heralds of Harmony from Tampa took 8th place with a total score of 2590, an average of 86.3%.
Score sheet for the International Chorus contest is below:
Well done, all Sunshine District competitors!
Sunshine District qualified 3 quartets for 2019 International Quartet competition in a typically fantastic Sunshine Spring Convention. There were 15 quartets in the Friday evening competition including Senior Quartet Champion contenders, Youth Championship contenders and Mixed Quartets singing for scores/eval only.
In Chorus competition, Orlando Harmony took the 2019 Chorus Championship with a score of 890 points or a 74.2% average. We also crowned our first ever Mixed Chorus Champions Florida Suncoast Chorus with a score of 829 points or a 69.1% average.
We also chose Byron Poore as our 2018 B.O.T.Y (Barbershopper of the Year) for his many years of service to Sunshine District.
Signature was the top qualifier for 2019 International Quartet Competition in Salt Lake City, UT in July with a score of 2203 or an average of 91.8%.
Throwback was the second qualifier for 2019 International Quartet Competition in Salt Lake City, UT in July with a score of 2176 or an average of 90.7%.
Rooftop Records was the third qualifier for 2019 International Quartet Competition in Salt Lake City, UT in July with a score of 2156 or an average of 89.8%.
TBQ was crowned 2019 Senior Quartet Champions with a score of 807 or an average of 67.3%.
Cleftomaniacs was crowned 2019 Youth Quartet Champions with a score of 1625 or an average of 67.7%.
Links to book your hotel room at the Marriott, as well as other Convention information (including all Competitor loops, when available) can be found on the District Web Page www.sunshinedistrict.org
We’re glad you are planning to join us for a wonderful weekend of song and fellowship at the Orlando Airport Marriott, March 8th and 9th, 2019 as only the Sunshine District can host!
ALL COMPETITORS MUST HAVE AN ALL EVENTS PASS TO BE ON STAGE- NO EXCEPTIONS
NO REFUNDS – TICKETS MAY BE TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER ATTENDEE.
HOTEL BOOKING LINK CAN BE FOUND AT www.SUNSHINEDISTRICT.org
Early Bird registration will run through February 22nd.
Friday March 8th–
10:00am- SUN District Board of Directors Meeting
11:30am-1:30pm– Everyone In Harmony “Road Show”, hosted by Harmony Hall- Capri Room (ALL WELCOME!)
11:00 REGISTRATION DESK OPENS
2:00pm SUN House of Delegates Meeting- Capri Room
7:00pm 2019 BHS International Quartet Quarterfinals and Mixed Quartet Contest
Tentative Schedule (start times subject to change slightly)
Saturday March 9th –
11:00am– SUN District Chorus Championship, and (our very first!) Mixed Chorus Contest
*The Jacksonville Big Orange Chorus will sing off their 2018 Chorus trophy immediately following the chorus contest/prior to results.
*2018 Sunshine District Barbershopper of the Year Award presented following chorus competitions.
4:30pm Pre-Semifinal Cocktail Hour hosted by The President’s CouncilReception (Capri)- ALL ARE INVITED! (Cash Bar)
7:00pm– 2017 BHS International Quartet Preliminary Round- Qualifying to compete at BHS INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, SALT LAKE CITY- July 2019!s
After a short break, the Sunshine Show of Champions featuring our Mixed Quartet winners, SUN BHS quartet qualifiers, and our newly crowned SUN Chorus Champions.
*SUNGLOW Afterglow following in Capri Ballroom– donations needed, accepted, and appreciated! You may choose an Afterglow donation amount at checkout. ALL CHORUSES AND QUARTETS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SING at the Afterglow- We wanna hear what ya got!