Please be aware that the 2020 Sunshine District Spring Convention will take place as planned March 13 – 15, 2020.
Top in public tips to avoid getting flu or COVID-19 by using common sense:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available. Here are some songs to sing while washing your hands People Share 53 Songs To Sing Instead Of “Happy Birthday” While Washing Your Hands To Scare Away The Coronavirus
- Try not to shake hands, if you do use hand sanitizer afterwards.
- Don’t share pitch pipes or water bottles!
- If you do not feel well please stay home!
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that people frequently touch.
- There will be hand sanitizer available in public areas and backstage, but bring your own hand sanitizer, please! Remember it needs to be at least 60% alcohol based. Many options are available in sprays, gels, or wipes.
According to the Centers for Diseases Control (CDC), The World Health Organization (WHO), John Hopkins, The Department of State and State Departments of Health:For most of the American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
- People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated, though still relatively low risk of exposure.
- It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine.
- The CDC does not recommend wearing masks or respirators for the general public.
- People can help protect themselves from respiratory illness with everyday preventive actions:Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. Hydrogen peroxide based cleaners www.amazon.com/slp/hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner/dw3k52uvbbmn363
- Maintain at least 3 feet distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Sunshine District took 3 of the top 5 medals in International quartet competition this year in Salt Lake City, Utah. Signature brought home the 1st place Gold Medal with a total score of 8439, an average of 93.8%. Throwback took 2nd place Silver Medals with a total score of 8369, an average of 93.0%. Rooftop Records made their first entry into the top 5 capturing a 4th place Bronze Medal with a total score of 8165, an average of 90.7%.
In the Next Generation Varsity Quartet competition, Sunshine District representative On Point took 8th place honors with a total score of 1334, an average of 74.1%.
Score sheets for International Quartet contests are below:
- Quartet Quarterfinals (place 21-57)
- Quartet Semifinals (place 11-20)
- Quartet Finals
- Next Generation Varsity Quartet
In the Chorus competition, Sunshine representative Heralds of Harmony from Tampa took 8th place with a total score of 2590, an average of 86.3%.
Score sheet for the International Chorus contest is below:
Well done, all Sunshine District competitors!
Sunshine District qualified 3 quartets for 2019 International Quartet competition in a typically fantastic Sunshine Spring Convention. There were 15 quartets in the Friday evening competition including Senior Quartet Champion contenders, Youth Championship contenders and Mixed Quartets singing for scores/eval only.
In Chorus competition, Orlando Harmony took the 2019 Chorus Championship with a score of 890 points or a 74.2% average. We also crowned our first ever Mixed Chorus Champions Florida Suncoast Chorus with a score of 829 points or a 69.1% average.
We also chose Byron Poore as our 2018 B.O.T.Y (Barbershopper of the Year) for his many years of service to Sunshine District.
Signature was the top qualifier for 2019 International Quartet Competition in Salt Lake City, UT in July with a score of 2203 or an average of 91.8%.
Throwback was the second qualifier for 2019 International Quartet Competition in Salt Lake City, UT in July with a score of 2176 or an average of 90.7%.
Rooftop Records was the third qualifier for 2019 International Quartet Competition in Salt Lake City, UT in July with a score of 2156 or an average of 89.8%.
TBQ was crowned 2019 Senior Quartet Champions with a score of 807 or an average of 67.3%.
Cleftomaniacs was crowned 2019 Youth Quartet Champions with a score of 1625 or an average of 67.7%.
Links to book your hotel room at the Marriott, as well as other Convention information (including all Competitor loops, when available) can be found on the District Web Page www.sunshinedistrict.org
We’re glad you are planning to join us for a wonderful weekend of song and fellowship at the Orlando Airport Marriott, March 8th and 9th, 2019 as only the Sunshine District can host!
ALL COMPETITORS MUST HAVE AN ALL EVENTS PASS TO BE ON STAGE- NO EXCEPTIONS
NO REFUNDS – TICKETS MAY BE TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER ATTENDEE.
HOTEL BOOKING LINK CAN BE FOUND AT www.SUNSHINEDISTRICT.org
Early Bird registration will run through February 22nd.
Friday March 8th–
10:00am- SUN District Board of Directors Meeting
11:30am-1:30pm– Everyone In Harmony “Road Show”, hosted by Harmony Hall- Capri Room (ALL WELCOME!)
11:00 REGISTRATION DESK OPENS
2:00pm SUN House of Delegates Meeting- Capri Room
7:00pm 2019 BHS International Quartet Quarterfinals and Mixed Quartet Contest
Tentative Schedule (start times subject to change slightly)
Saturday March 9th –
11:00am– SUN District Chorus Championship, and (our very first!) Mixed Chorus Contest
*The Jacksonville Big Orange Chorus will sing off their 2018 Chorus trophy immediately following the chorus contest/prior to results.
*2018 Sunshine District Barbershopper of the Year Award presented following chorus competitions.
4:30pm Pre-Semifinal Cocktail Hour hosted by The President’s CouncilReception (Capri)- ALL ARE INVITED! (Cash Bar)
7:00pm– 2017 BHS International Quartet Preliminary Round- Qualifying to compete at BHS INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, SALT LAKE CITY- July 2019!s
After a short break, the Sunshine Show of Champions featuring our Mixed Quartet winners, SUN BHS quartet qualifiers, and our newly crowned SUN Chorus Champions.
*SUNGLOW Afterglow following in Capri Ballroom– donations needed, accepted, and appreciated! You may choose an Afterglow donation amount at checkout. ALL CHORUSES AND QUARTETS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SING at the Afterglow- We wanna hear what ya got!
Hey, Sunshine District do you know what time it is……………….?
It is time to sign up for the new, revamped, exciting, and educational Sunshine District Leadership Academy and INTRODUCING OUR VERY OWN Harmony College. We have an exciting line up for everyone this year as we continue to try to grow our chapters, give our singers skills and knowledge to use on and off the risers, and be the society that truly has “Everyone in Harmony.” If that isn’t exciting enough we have also moved to The Rosen Plaza on International Drive in Orlando, FL and are offering the ability to sign up using Eventbrite. We hope to have a large turnout of excited, enthusiastic, energized members join us this year. If you have any questions, please reach out to me and let me help you and your chapter get engaged.
VP District Education/CSLT
The competition order draw has been completed and there are 19 Quartets and 6 choruses set to sing for the various contests. We will be crowning the District Quartet Champion and the District Mixed Harmony Quartet Champions. In the quartet competition, we will also be selecting our International Seniors Preliminary Quartet Qualifier as well as awarding the Sunshine District Gene Cokeroft Most-Improved Quartet Award.
In the Chorus contest, we will be selecting our International Preliminary Chorus Representative, as well as the choruses will be competing for the Most Improved Chorus Award and Chorus Grade Level Improvement Awards.
It is going to be a great contest, so come and support your District competitors!
|3||Back Street 4||SUN|
|5||Dewey, Singum, and Howe||SUN|
|12||Lock and Ring||MISC(Mixed)|
|13||Wee Small Hours||SUN|
|17||4 for 4||SUN|
|1||Heralds of Harmony|
|2||Orange Blossom Chorus|
|3||Emerald Coast Chorus|