Spring 2021 Convention Cancelled
Regrettably, SUN will not be holding a Spring 2021 Convention in St. Augustine. After a discussion with the Board and House of Delegates, we feel that since quartets are qualifying for Cleveland via video submission, and the choruses from Los Angeles as well as those that had a high score will be automatically invited, there is no reason to hold an in-person convention that would most likely be sparsely attended. This is disappointing, but we cannot risk the expenses it costs to hold a convention if we have no chance of even breaking even. This is trending among most Districts. We look forward to when we can meet and sing in person again!!
Sunshine District Labor Day Jamboree has been cancelled.
It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we must announce the cancellation of Labor Day Jamboree (LDJ) which was to take place September 4-7, 2020 in Orlando, FL. We know this will come as a great disappointment not only to our membership but also to our brothers and sisters in harmony from outside the Sunshine District that travel to join us year after year.
Please understand this is not a decision that we have taken lightly. As one of the Sunshine District’s cornerstone events, LDJ is known for being a fun-filled family weekend that brings people together from many different locations, and the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 has been a major factor in the decision to cancel. Our primary concern is for the health and safety of our attendees and performers who make this event possible. We sincerely appreciate your continued support of Labor Day Jamboree and look forward to sharing our updated plans for LDJ 2021 later this year.
Chad Bennett, LDJ Chairman
New Chapter in Sunshine District!
We have FANTASTIC news: the Jacksonville, FL chapter has fulfilled all the requirements to become a chapter. They are fully active as of 5/01/2020.
The Jacksonville, FL chapter currently has 20 members and performs as a mixed chorus known as Bold City Sound. Bold City Sound’s values are family, community, musical excellence, and fun!
Below are the new Jacksonville, FL chapter leader titles and contact information – please pass along this awesome news, and help welcome our newest chapter to the BHS and SUN family!
- Chapter President: Dave Scott – DGScott417@gmail.com
- Treasurer and Secretary: Mark Graham Jr.- email@example.com
- VP Music & Performance: Lizzie Green – firstname.lastname@example.org
- VP Marketing & Public Relations – Robert Reeves – email@example.com
- VP Chapter Development – Jeannie Correa – firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Chapter Email – email@example.com
A Suggestion from Lee Frayer, Director Venice Gondoliers Mixed Chorus, Venice FL
One thing I am enjoying during this virus down time is keeping my Barbershop mind sharp by going on YouTube and calling up Barbershop, Barbershop quartets, Barbershop Choruses, and words of that kind. You can find hours of entertainment and education.
Why did I say education? Because you should not only be listening to the great harmony sounds but studying body language and facial sell. Check out what a difference good choreography makes to a song’s production. This is something most choruses could use improvement on.
It’s the same as your director asking you to attend the district conventions, even if you don’t compete in the contests, just to see what the other choruses are working on. Judge in your mind what you think about the other directors. Are they easy to follow, are they over or under working their arms and hand motions? Are the choruses as good or better than what you think your chorus is doing currently?
My theory is this. How do you know your director is teaching the right stuff if you don’t see other choruses doing the same thing your chorus director is pitching at your chorus rehearsals?
Remember. This organization that you have joined is an “educational and charitable” society. Not just a bunch of local yokels singing some songs. So you should take advantage of any and all Barbershop education that you can get. Also are you aware that the district and international have classes available for Barbershop education? Some just weekends, some a full week long. Check with your Chapter President or secretary. Or simply go on-line to your district or international and get the facts.
Director Venice Gondoliers mixed chorus. Venice, Fl.
SPRING CONVENTION REFUND POLICY
As you know, the difficult but correct decision was made to cancel the Spring Convention due to the rapid news, spread, and “unknowns” concerning the COVID-19 virus. We know that some are disappointed, some grateful, but most all of us are both of those.
The options for your registrations are as follows:
Transfer to Fall 2020 Convention
If you would like a refund, please send an email with the ticket purchaser’s name, and order number (if you have it) to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a transfer to Fall, please email
email@example.com with your name, and all of the names in your order to be transferred to Fall. (We thought that you could do this yourself, but we were incorrect; we are happy to complete this transfer for you) You may also reply to this email with the required information and we will make the transfer happen.
CHORUS MEMBERS via your CHORUS MANAGERS (or Leadership): Exact same options as above…But it would help us tremendously if you would please send a single list of each of your members’ preference as one collective group. One chorus already took the initiative to do this and it made the process so much easier. Name of Member, and one preference: Refund or Transfer.
EITHER A REFUND REQUEST OR A TRANSFER REQUEST MUST BE SUBMITTED WITHIN 7 DAYS (SAT MARCH 21ST) OF THE CANCELLATION
For any questions, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
As for the hotel- the individual property is sticking to its 24 hour cancellation rule, although they are still working through it with us. This does not mean that Marriott Corporate cannot override them and do the right thing, so we are asking that you PLEASE contact Marriott Customer Service directly at 1(800) 535-4028 to request a refund or open a case.
The state of Florida was under a state of emergency at the time of the convention cancellation, and the Governor had just recommended that groups of 250+ not gather, hence the convention cancellation. Marriott should do the right thing and refund that night for those of you that did not cancel in time.
UPDATE: All hope is not lost; we are still working with the hotel as our contract language supersedes Marriott’s corporate “24 hour cancellation” policy.
Again, thank you all for your patience while we sort through this. And thanks to those that have already quickly responded with their choice!
The kind words and understanding actions of our membership has carried the Events Team through this; we are here to assist you, our Sunshine Family.
Stay safe, all!
Sunshine District Events Team
UPDATE FROM SUNSHINE DISTRICT
After further consideration, the Sunshine District Convention will not take place.
UPDATE FROM THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
COVID -19 and Spring Convention!
Please be aware that the 2020 Sunshine District Spring Convention will take place as planned March 13 – 15, 2020.
Top in public tips to avoid getting flu or COVID-19 by using common sense:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available. Here are some songs to sing while washing your hands People Share 53 Songs To Sing Instead Of “Happy Birthday” While Washing Your Hands To Scare Away The Coronavirus
- Try not to shake hands, if you do use hand sanitizer afterwards.
- Don’t share pitch pipes or water bottles!
- If you do not feel well please stay home!
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that people frequently touch.
- There will be hand sanitizer available in public areas and backstage, but bring your own hand sanitizer, please! Remember it needs to be at least 60% alcohol based. Many options are available in sprays, gels, or wipes.
According to the Centers for Diseases Control (CDC), The World Health Organization (WHO), John Hopkins, The Department of State and State Departments of Health:For most of the American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
- People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated, though still relatively low risk of exposure.
- It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine.
- The CDC does not recommend wearing masks or respirators for the general public.
- People can help protect themselves from respiratory illness with everyday preventive actions:Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. Hydrogen peroxide based cleaners www.amazon.com/slp/hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner/dw3k52uvbbmn363
- Maintain at least 3 feet distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Sunshine Statesmen Senior Chorus!
Sunshine District takes 3 of 5 Medals in International Quartet competition!
Sunshine District took 3 of the top 5 medals in International quartet competition this year in Salt Lake City, Utah. Signature brought home the 1st place Gold Medal with a total score of 8439, an average of 93.8%. Throwback took 2nd place Silver Medals with a total score of 8369, an average of 93.0%. Rooftop Records made their first entry into the top 5 capturing a 4th place Bronze Medal with a total score of 8165, an average of 90.7%.
In the Next Generation Varsity Quartet competition, Sunshine District representative On Point took 8th place honors with a total score of 1334, an average of 74.1%.
Score sheets for International Quartet contests are below:
- Quartet Quarterfinals (place 21-57)
- Quartet Semifinals (place 11-20)
- Quartet Finals
- Next Generation Varsity Quartet
In the Chorus competition, Sunshine representative Heralds of Harmony from Tampa took 8th place with a total score of 2590, an average of 86.3%.
Score sheet for the International Chorus contest is below:
Well done, all Sunshine District competitors!