Add to Calendar
In order to inspire each barbershopper to promote quartet singing, the Sunshine District is once again offering the quartet contest known as the Grapefruit League Novice Quartet Contest [GLNQC]. The contest will be held during Labor Day Jamboree on Saturday morning August 31, 2019 at 10:30 am. LDJ is held at the Orlando Airport Marriott and room reservation and ticket information is at the bottom of this email.
We invite every barbershopper to participate in this program. By promoting quartets to attend LDJ, participate in the contest, and then take advantage of some excellent performance evaluations, more barbershoppers and non-barbershoppers alike are exposed to the joys of quartet singing.
The Grapefruit League Novice Quartet Contest will be judged by an excellent panel of judges and the winners will sing on the Saturday Night Show as the mic testers. The winning quartet’s name will be placed on the Rik Ogden traveling trophy, which will be retained by the GLNQC Champions, for one year. The first, second and third place quartets will receive medals.
We are challenging each Chapter to send at least one Quartet to take advantage of the excellent evaluations and the thrill of competing.
The eligibility rules are simple. All members of the Barbershop Harmony Society and any of their non-member friends are eligible to sing in the Grapefruit League Novice Quartet Contest. Quartets do not have to be made up from the same Chapter. Exceptions:
- The quartet cannot contain more than two members who have been a finalist in any District/Regional Contest or have competed in International Competition (including BHS NextGen or Seniors, SAI, HI, or MBHA) within the past 10 years.
- No more than one member who has been a District/Regional Champion, or International Finalist (including BHS NextGen or Seniors, SAI, HI, or MBHA) within the past 10 years.
- OF COURSE, AS IN ALL CONTESTS, LAST YEAR’S CHAMPS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE UNLESS THEY CHANGE TWO MEMBERS AND THE QUARTET NAME.
Quartets will sing two songs in the Barbershop Style. Performance and music must be in good taste. Quartets are encouraged to wear something uniform. Keep in mind that the winning quartet will sing on Saturday night’s show, so proper attire is expected.
- There will be judging in three categories, Music, Performance, and Singing.
- Each Judge will score from 0 to 100 points for each song, or 300 points total for each song.
- The highest cumulative total for both songs will determine the winners.
- Scoring assessments will be available after the contest has concluded.
- Quartets are welcomed to evaluate their performance with the judges.
Deadline for entries in the GLNQC is ONE DAY PRIOR, but please submit your entry sooner rather than later so that the event can be planned appropriately. Registration may be submitted below.
This is a great chance to put a quartet together, get the feel of a competition stage, and get some great evaluation. The registration form is below.
The fun is in the participation, the evaluation, and the camaraderie.
Register online here: Grapefruit League Novice Quartet Contest Registration Form
With Head High and Larynx low,
Grapefruit League Novice Quartet Contest Coordinator